HomeAbout Us2012 NegotiationsCounselling ServiceCollective AgreementEA CampaignEIFormsLinksManulife BenefitsMeetingsContact Us
Counselling Service
EA Campaign
Sask Education Workers Steering Committee
Saskatchewan Federation of Labour
Contact Us
Shop Stewards

Who's Online
There are currently 0 registered user(s) online and 5 guest(s).
Our children lose with education cuts

Our children lose with education cuts

StarPhoenix (Saskatoon)
Fri Oct 20 2017
Page: A9
Section: Letters
Byline: Jackie Christianson,
Dateline: CUPE Regina
Source: The Starphoenix

This is Education Week (October 15-21) and the government's news release says it will "put students first by investing in our schools." I agree with putting students first, but that requires additional funding - not funding cuts. This year's provincial budget slashed $54.2 million from our 28 school divisions, a 2.6 per cent reduction over last year, or $500 less per student.
These cuts are even more appalling knowing the government increased education property taxes by $67 million this year but is directing those monies into its general revenue fund and not to school divisions struggling with increased student enrolment. In fact, provincial student enrolment increased by 8.6 per cent since 2010 and continues to rise.
Government funding cuts have resulted in the cancellation of the Discovery Pre-School program, full day kindergarten every other day, reduction of bus service in communities and longer bus rides in rural areas, charges for noon supervision and layoffs or reduction of hours for teachers and support staff. Schools are expected to do more with less.
This is just the beginning of more cuts as the Ministry of Education is asking for $60 million more in "efficiencies" next year.
Our children are our future.
Investing in their education helps them succeed in school and gives them better health and social outcomes. Research shows that investing in our children's education will strengthen our economy; when they succeed, we all succeed.
If the government truly wants to put "students first," it must immediately reverse the cuts to education.
Jackie Christianson,

NEW EMPLOYEE AND FAMILY ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (EFAP)EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 1, 2017Members please make sure you check out the contact information for the EFAP provider located under the heading of Counselling Services in the top menu. Morneau Shepell is the new provider. When accessing service through Shepell please make sure that you indicate that you work for Regina Public School Board and are a member of CUPE3766.
*******************************************Welcome Back***********************************************

On behalf of CUPE3766 Executive Members, we would like to welcome back all members of the team at Regina Public Schools for the up and coming 2017/18 school year. We hope and trust that the summer break allowed you to recharge your mind and body and that you are ready to start a new year refreshed and able to assist the children we all treasure and focus our lives to support.

There may be challenges along the way, but we wish to remind all members that they are valued and respected among their fellow colleagues and should any issues arise, they will have access of support through the local. In the first couple of days each zone will receive a visit from their school Shop Stewards. This is an opportunity to put a face to a name and receive information about the local and dates relevant to meetings and school calendar working days. We as your local executive, are only as strong as our membership. We continue to strive to look to find people who can share their skills and assist in local business. Please make sure to check the information package or check out the website for dates and times of the meetings. We hope to see more members at the meetings and that consideration will be made to get involved, many hands make light work.

Once again, welcome back. We wish you a very successful school year. In the words of Winston Churchill, “We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.”

All the best for the 2017/18 school year,
CUPE 3766 Executive Members

March 8, 2017 Rally at the Legislative Building

CUPE 3766 is pleased to share that one of our members was interviewed at the Rally. Make sure to check out the link below. Great job Valerie!


I thank the many who have already sent letters to their MLA's, and filled out the 3 petitions I asked you to sign. I'm sending you the links to the petitions again, and I'm asking you one final time, before the budget is released on March 22....if you've NOT filled out BOTH petitions, PLEASE DO SO NOW. Please note, I'm not yelling at you, only stressing the importance of everyone standing up for our children and our jobs! As previous emails stated, I can't do this alone, this executive cannot do this alone, it will take all 550 plus members to do this, and ask your family, friends, neighbours etc......Tuesday is our last day on these petitions....and it would be a beautiful sight if this government was overwhelmed by the responses. The links are as follows:

In response to the provincial government’s cuts, layoffs, threats of unpaid days off, and demanding public sector workers get a 3.5% pay cut, the SFL has created a letter that people can send to Premier Brad Wall telling him to stop the attack on public sector workers.
The letter is in support of the Own It! campaign, and can be found here:

Please go to the page, fill in your information, send a letter and then forward this email to anyone who might be interested.
From Larry Hubich President Saskatchewan Federation of Labour

The second petition needs a bit of explanation before you sign it. You will be asked to submit your first/last name, email/mailing addresses and postal code. These are the legalities when signing any petition. When you give this information on the links below (change.org), please unclick the boxes that state, "keep me updated on this campaign and other from CUPE Saskatchewan" and "display my name and comment on this petition" please note, you are not required to give any information on "I'm signing because" this is optional. Please click "sign".

It's important that you check our email within a few minutes after the above noted process, as the next step is on a 1 hour time limit. You will be notified by change.org via your email "just 1 more step", click the "log in". You will be notified that "you signed the" petition. You'll also see a notice that says, "Chip in $5 or more to help win this campaign", PLEASE DO NOT DONANTE ANY MONEY TO change.org as CUPE has already paid them for this service. One final note about signing petitions on change.org, you will receive other petitions to sign via your email. I simply delete the petitions, as I'm careful about choosing petitions to sign. Please sign as per your personal preference.
Here is the petition link:

The social media links to "where's the funding" campaign from the past week. Please watch the video from the leader post, Ashley Martin was wonderful! I'm grateful to the Leader-Post for producing this awesome video on front line education support workers message! It's about the kids! I hope Brad Wall wakes up, stop the cuts.

Check this one out!

Check out another one, FYI, I'm not an education rep, I'm a structured learning assistant.

Check it out:

This was the first one I did last Monday

One final medial outlet is the radio commercials have been playing since last Wednesday on C 95 (Saskatoon FM), Z 99 (Regina FM), CJME 980 (AM), and CKRM 620 (AM). We are still in the process of having the ads broadcasted on community radio. I've attached the files of the ads, so you can hear them.....in a few weeks I'll be running a new radio message, it will be our "Plan B".

Thank you



CUPE Local 3766 Days of Work for the 2018/19 School Year

CUPE 3766 Days of Work for the 2018/2019 School Year

Special Education Assistants, Teacher Associates, Developmental Classroom Assistants, Interpreters, Structured Learning Assistants, Food Services Assistants, Community School Nutrition Coordinators and Food Service Technicians are not required to work October 5, 2018; May17, 2019 and June 28, 2019 and will be paid accordingly to the 192 working days.

Administrative Assistants, Clerical Assistants, Resource Centre Assistants, and Braillists are not required to work on October 5, 2018 and will be paid accordingly to the 194 working days.

Restraining Students Certification

If CUPE 3766 Members are instructed by their supervisors to restrain students without receiving the approved certification, please be cognitive of possible accidents, injuries and/or discipline resulting from the unauthorized use of restraints on students.
Cupe Local 3766 Resignations

If CUPE 3766 Members are contemplating resigning from their position in their schools, please contact your Shop Steward or President Jackie Christianson. Resignations are taken seriously and may only be rescinded within 24 hrs.
Performance Evaluations

There has been an increase in the number of our members receiving performance evaluations that are not as satisfactory as our members felt they should have been. If you have concerns or questions about an evaluation that has been done or would like a copy of an evaluation form, please contact your school's shop steward. Your steward's contact information should be posed on a bulletin board at your school and is also on local's website: www.cupe3766.com.

New Members / First Time Visitors

Please click on the About Us tab at the top of the page for a special welcome to CUPE 3766 and important information from President Jackie Christianson.

Employee Incident Report

If any member has an incident at school please fill out an Employee Incident Report. An incident is an event which COULD or DOES result in unintended harm or damage. You can find copies of Employee Incident Reports by clicking on the Forms tab above. You can also request a copy of this report from your principal and/or administrative assistant.

When filling out any school incident reports please ensure that a copy of the report for yourself and copies of your report are forwarded on to your principal, OH&S Committee at your school, and the manager of Workplace Health and Wellness. If you have any issues with this procedure, please contact Jackie Christianson, jackiechristianson@myaccess.ca

Continuation of Benefits Request Form - Important Information to Remember

If your doctor has requested for you not to return to work and you've run out of banked sick days you may be considered on a leave of absence. You will receive a Continuation of Benefits Request Form. It must be filled out within 14 days.

Several members are placed in this situation every year. It is important for you to consider the form carefully, even if you're not currently in this situation. The form gives you options into paying or not paying for the following benefits: Pension, LTD, Extended Health & Dental and Life Insurance.

It's important to factor in that some of these benefits are very expensive, in particular on a reduced income. However, a few of the benefits are relatively in-expensive, for example the LTD and life Insurance Benefits.

You may choose not pay into these benefits due to your current situation, but if your situation changes; you may require one of these benefits and will no longer have an option of accessing the benefits. Once you choose to not pay into your benefits, your decision is final.

Please contact your Shop Steward, Jackie Christianson or Jo-ann Hincks (306-523-3034) if you require assistance in making decisions on your benefits.

Employee and Family Assistance Provider

Members have requested information on our Moreneau Shepell Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP).Moreneau Shepell provides service for us 24/7. This program cost you the member nothing, regardless if your contract is casual, temporary or permanent. Your Union pays the cost of this service on a per member/per month basis, regardless if our members and their families use the service or not. To clarify our collective agreement, the service that we have with Moreneau Shepell is unlimited, this includes unlimited counseling services. If you need the service please call Moreneau Shepell, and let them know that your a CUPE 3766 member. You can find contact information for Moreneau Shepell within the Counselling Services link on the top menu.

Shepell has been selected as our Employee Assistance provider; they can be reached, 24/7 at 1.844.880.9142

For more information : http://www.cupe3766.com/components.php?comp=contentmanager&op=getfile&sop=56
Pension Website

Please check the Regina Civic Employees' Pension Plan website http://www.reginapensions.ca. While there, check out the Member's area with Member Handbook section (for contibuting members), the 'Reading Your Statement' section, Pensioners section, Administration, and News sections. All kinds of valuable information regarding your pension is just a few clicks away.

FYI - Mileage Claims

If you travel between schools in your school day you are able to claim mileage as per our collective agreement. This would include members who have two half time contracts. Please contact your shop steward for further information.

Personal E-mail Loop and Shop Stewards: A Message from President Jackie Christianson

We are starting new with the personal email loop again. There are several new members in our system and several members who have resigned/retired. It is very difficult keeping up with these changes without your help!

Could one person in each school please check with our members in their school and ask if I have their email address? If our members do not wish to give out their personal email address, please make a list of their names and the email addresses you that you were able to get from our members and forward this information on to me at jackiechristianson@myaccess.ca

This seems to be the most effective way to communicate, along with our web-site, and then everyone should be informed of important information. Hope everyone is having a "smooth transition" into the new school year. Please let your shop stewards know if there are any concerns you have. They are very willing to help!

For a new list of shop stewards and their schools/email addresses, please check your school bulletin board for the list and/ or our web-site at www.cupe3766.com. Click on the "shop stewards" box. I really appreciate your help in this matter!

Contacting Fellow Union Members

Many pages on this website provide email addresses for members to contact if you have questions or concerns.

PLEASE NOTE: when contacting fellow union members regarding union business, please use your PERSONAL E-MAIL AND COMPUTER. RBE has full access to any e-mails you send on their e-mail and computers, therefore, there is no privacy. ALSO: personal use of the RBE computers on the employers time could be grounds for discipline.


Welcome to Cupe Local 3766

Welcome to the Cupe Local 3766 Website! Updates are always coming so check back often!

if you have any website ideas, suggestions, concerns: please click on the Contact Us info above.
What your union does for you?

Updated Administrative Procedures